[SGVLUG] OT: Cell phone repeaters

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 16:27:43 PST 2012

Off Topic question.  Anyone on the list have any experience with cell
phone repeaters?  How well do they work?  Any recommendations?

I'm looking for suggestions for both work and home.

At work in Pasadena, I get a nice strong LTE signal from AT&T on the
2nd floor but in the basement it drops down pretty bad - with some
people not even able to get SMS messages.  Some of the server rooms
have no signal which sucks if you are working in there.  They are
looking for a solution that would work with as many carriers as
possible.  No problem running additional antennas to the roof.

At home which is halfway between the 10 and 210 freeways, I can
sometimes get 3G with 2-3 bars, better outside.  Have not tried the
roof.  A friend who is always bragging about his fast download via
Verizon was appalled to see my DSL outpace his phone.  He had to go
outside to my driveway and relay to his laptop but then we had to run
an extension cord out to his phone.  Anyway I was wondering what
solutions were available for residential users as well.

thanks,
Claude