[SGVLUG] distributed wiki via Github

Lan Dang l.dang at ymail.com
Fri Nov 2 10:57:11 PDT 2012

Hi  all,

Something to think about for next LUG meeting, as I would like to set up a working group for this:

As you may or may not know, the SGVLUG and SGVHAK websites are hosted by Github.  This means they can also have wikis.  And a Github-hosted wiki is exactly what we need.

Anyone on the list have experience maintaining or contributing to a Github project wiki? How about the Gollum library that powers the Github wikis?

I would really like to set up a git-backed wiki for the SGVHAK so we can organize links and how-tos for our projects. I'm sure we can also use it for SGVLUG to write-up presentation notes.

And I would like some help with this. It may be more of an organizational issue than a technical issue. How do we lay out things, set up templates, set up write-access. If the wiki is well-organized, it's easier to use and contribute to.

In addition, I appreciate James' efforts in setting up the SGVHAK/SGVLUG websites, but I really wish I could edit the website from my smartphone. Any ideas on how we can make that happen? Android app? Hosting a web-based front end on a VPS that can pull and commit to the github repo? Maybe it would be a good club project?

Lan