[SGVLUG] apt-get troubles

Braddock Gaskill braddock at braddock.com
Tue May 29 20:00:07 PDT 2012

Hi Braydon,
Sounds like a mess.  If you temporarily set 12.04 package sources in your
9.04 apt configuration you're probably screwed (I wasn't clear on whether
that was the case from your first e-mail).

But I am no apt-get guru.

My philosophy is to keep /home and all user data on a separate partition
and reinstall root from scratch any time without a worry.  And take copious
notes on every installation, and don't forget to add /etc to your nightly
off-site backups.

-braddock

On Tue, 29 May 2012 15:09:49 -0700, Braydon <ronin at braydon.com> wrote:
> [...]
> libkrb5-dev libkrb53
>   liblcms1 libldap-2.4-2 libldap2-dev liblockfile1 libltdl3 liblzo2-2
> libmagic1 libmagick10 libmp3lame0 libmysqlclient15off libncursesw5
> libneon27 libnet-cidr-perl libnet-daemon-perl libnet-dns-perl
>   libnet-ip-perl libnet-server-perl libnewt0.52 libogg0 liboil0.3
> libopencdk10 libopenexr2ldbl libpango1.0-0 libpango1.0-common
> libpcre3-dev libpcrecpp0 libperl5.8 libpixman-1-0 libplrpc-perl
> libpng12-0 libpopt0
>   libpostproc51 libpq-dev libpq5 libraw1394-8 libreadline5 librsvg2-2
> librsvg2-bin libsasl2-2 libsasl2-modules libschroedinger-1.0-0
> libsdl1.2debian libsdl1.2debian-alsa libsigc++-2.0-0c2a libsm6 libspeex1
>   libsqlite3-0 libsqlite3-dev libssl-dev libssl0.9.8 libsvn1 libswscale0
> libswscale1d libsysfs2 libt1-5 libtasn1-3 libthai0 libtheora0 libtiff4
> libtimedate-perl libtool libts-0.0-0 liburi-perl libusb-0.1-4
>   libvolume-id0 libvorbis0a libvorbisenc2 libwmf0.2-7 libwrap0
> libwww-perl libx11-6 libx264-57 libx264-65 libx264-dev libxau6
> libxcb-xlib0 libxcb1 libxcomposite1 libxcursor1 libxdamage1 libxdmcp6
> libxext6
>   libxfixes3 libxft2 libxi6 libxinerama1 libxml2 libxmu6 libxpm4
> libxrandr2 libxrender1 libxslt1.1 libxt6 libxvidcore4 libxvidcore4-dev
> links locales localization-config logrotate m4 mailx make man-db mawk
>   module-init-tools mtr-tiny mutt mysql-client-5.0 mysql-server-5.0 nano
> net-tools openssh-client openssh-server openssl patch perl perl-modules
> php-mode php-pear php5-cli php5-common php5-curl php5-dev php5-gd
>   php5-mysql postfix postfix-pcre postgrey procmail procps psmisc python
> python2.5 rsync sasl2-bin shtool ssl-cert startup-tasks subversion sudo
> sysklogd system-services tcl8.4 tcpd telnet ttf-dejavu
>   ttf-dejavu-core ttf-dejavu-extra ubuntu-keyring udev unzip upstart
> upstart-compat-sysv upstart-logd uuid-dev uuid-runtime vim-common
> vim-tiny wget whiptail xclip yasm youtube-dl zip zlib1g-dev
>   gcc-4.3-base
> WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed.
> This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
>   apt base-files bash libc-bin
> 0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 316 to remove and 14 not upgraded.
> 1 not fully installed or removed.
> Need to get 107kB of archives.
> After this operation, 517MB disk space will be freed.
> You are about to do something potentially harmful.
> To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as I say!'
>  ?]
>

> On 05/29/2012 02:34 PM, Braddock Gaskill wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 29 May 2012 14:13:05 -0700, Braydon <ronin at braydon.com> wrote:
>>> So I have a VPS with Ubuntu jaunty on it, and have recently run:
>>
>> Jaunty is Ubuntu 9.04, which is not a Long Term Support (LTS) release
and
>> an upgrade to Precise 12.04 LTS would probably fail.
>>
>> As far as I understand the only upgrade paths Canonical tests are 10.04
>> LTS -> 12.04 LTS and 11.10 -> 12.04 LTS, and they actually recommend
NOT