[SGVLUG] New Linux Laptop, Made (assembled?) in US

Braddock Gaskill braddock at braddock.com
Wed May 23 12:39:07 PDT 2012

On Wed, 23 May 2012 11:52:36 -0700, Richard Gaskin
<ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:
> I'd love to buy an S76, but 1050p @15" is too fine for my late-40s eyes,

> and 768p is too few pixels for coding.
>
> Why is it so hard to find a 14" or 15" screen @ 1440x900 or 1600x900?

In 2001 I had a laptop with a 1600x1200 4:3 aspect 15.5" (which is MUCH
greater area than a 16:9 15.5").  Best display I've ever seen on a laptop,
and that was over a decade ago.  I thought I'd be living the future by now,
but every laptop since that has been a step down.

16:9 is a plague, and 720p is pathetic - even my EEE PC does better than
that.  At least my current '07 laptop is 16:10, but they are getting very
rare now.

When I synergy my wide screen laptop with my desktop to code I usually put
it on its side and xrandr -o left into portrait mode.  Wish I could figure
out how to type that way without an external keyboard in starbucks. :)

Apple is going to finally school the industry with retina displays
everywhere.

-braddock