[SGVLUG] so, what command line tools DO you like to install?

Jeff Carlson jeff at ultimateevil.org
Mon May 14 12:29:20 PDT 2012

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 03:48:58PM -0700, Christopher Smith wrote:
>> emacs
>> screen
>
> Wow. Someone who uses Emacs *and* screen. That's a new one.

Based on your other reply stating that Emacs was a better screen, I
assume you're referring to one of the various shell or terminal modes.
I've never grown comfortable with those.

Aside from that, the detach/reattach thing is pretty useful even with
Emacs, and it's something you can't get with Emacs on its own, unless
it's something I don't know about.

Anyway, this particular machine is CentOS 5 and that only has Emacs
22, so there's no -d flag.  Otherwise that's how I'd operate, just
start up emacs -d and use emacsclient for everything.  I'm too lazy to
manually update that package.

>> lynx
>
> I kind of prefer w3m

Sure.  I actually usually install w3m and links or elinks as well.
But when the need for a text based browser comes up, I usually grab
lynx first.

>> mutt
>
> I tend to avoid installing mua's on systems I administer.

I never interpreted the question to apply specifically to servers.
Even if it were, mailx or mail are usable for both reading and sending
mail, and mutt is a pretty powerful mail sender.  It's the only
command line tool I have found that can send an attachment right from
the shell prompt.