[SGVLUG] so, what command line tools DO you like to install?

Braddock Gaskill braddock at braddock.com
Sat May 12 08:45:28 PDT 2012

On Fri, 11 May 2012 16:15:42 -0700 (PDT), matti <mathew_2000 at yahoo.com>
wrote:
> Traceroute and ping are to me some very useful tools to have on any

I always want mtr ("Matt's Traceroute" - think top + traceroute) so I
always know the health of my uplink and to identify issues at a glance.
Even under any Windows machine I have the misfortune of using, WinMTR is
always one of the first things to install.

--
For breaking in a fresh Ubuntu install, I years ago created a shell
wrapper for apt-get that I call "apt-log" which logs the packages I

So on a fresh Ubuntu install I do a

apt-get install `cat apt.log`

which installs my favorite few hundred additional packages (about 4 gigs
worth - I need to trim it down).

--
Another good trick is to "clone" the package selections from an existing
install.

On prior install:
dpkg --get-selections >dpkg-selections.txt
scp dpkg-selections.txt rose:/tmp/

On Rose (new ubuntu install):
dpkg --set-selections </tmp/dpkg-selections.txt
apt-get dselect-upgrade

-braddock