[SGVLUG] OT: Why aren't there more women in tech?

Dustin Laurence dllaurence at dslextreme.com
Sat Mar 24 14:38:59 PDT 2012

On 03/24/2012 01:47 PM, Dan Kegel wrote:

> That's awfully cynical.

Going to a university that brutalizes the very notion of education by
requiring political indoctrination in the guise of a "core education" as
a condition of graduation kinda does that to you.  When that
indoctrination ends up pretty openly teaching contempt of the facts of
history, it makes you pretty jaded about the real motives of the
Philosopher Kings who wish to ensure that all the animals on the farm
are "equal."  They managed to make their philosophy the state religion,
and established hearing (if not quite reciting, at least not back then)
their catechism as a requirement for a university degree.  I guess I
should at least admire their ruthless efficiency.

I'm reminded of the scene in a surpassingly obscure book where the hero
is rescued by the warrior maid Reason and allowed to accompany her as
long as he's willing to--a strange stipulation, since who would not wish
to walk with Lady Reason?  Yet he soon finds that what she says is as
uncomfortable for him as it was for his recent captors, and he is not
willing to walk with her for long.

> ...I'd like to think that this list is open to
> any germane post that involves interesting supporting data.

It's not clear that any of this is germane to Linux regardless of the
position taken anyway.  Unless the question is whether the LUG should
single out special groups, in which case I note that we seem to lack
Amish, Hasidic Jews (at least judging by the dress of the members I've
met), and many many others who *clearly* deserve equal preference.  But
while we're arguing the vital question of whether to spend more on
recruiting Amishmen or Hasidim, any woman that wants to take over can
probably do so simply by volunteering to run (or maybe "run") the group
for a while.  I nominate Rae--do I have a second?

Clearly, the 30% is winning. :-(

Dustin, who is "English" but wants a buggy ride if we have any Amish
         members