[SGVLUG] ssd and linux

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sat Jun 30 08:41:21 PDT 2012

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 10:59 PM, matti <mathew_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> So, watching the prices go down, and wondering...
>
> Anyone here have experience with linux and SSDs?

My two year old notes say:
1) the only disks worth even thinking about are Intel's
2) and even so they're no good for heavy disk crunching (like
repeated building of complex C++ projects like chrome;
it starts off fast but then degrades.)

My wife's been using a 100GB one for a year or two
just to hold Windows 7, all her data is on a real disk.
Boot times are indeed significantly faster.

If I got one for Linux, I would put just the OS on it,
not /var and not /home.  But then I also don't buy
cars with power windows.
- Dan