[SGVLUG] startups and jobs

matti mathew_2000 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 17 21:02:40 PDT 2012

Hi,

So I attended the startup California event, and

during that event they discussed changing investment
laws to allow people who are not millionaires to become
investors in startups. ( JOBS act which passed in 4/52012 )

The SEC is currently working on the details.

Thus, we will see more capital for startups and hopefully resulting
in significant economic opportunities for growth. Crowd funding
will be one way in which smaller investors can participate in
investing in startups.

http://startupcal.org/

Crowd Funding
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowd_funding'

As you can imagine, a number of the startups which come from
these efforts will be high tech startups. Thus I would expect a
better job market for those with linux / open source skills.

That stated, there are a LOT of startups in the LA area now,
silicon beach is getting warm. ( still not a bay area volcano ).

Look at this event, and doing a little search you will notice
a lot of startup "incubators" and the like.

there is even a startup event happening next week,
at several locations around Santa Monica.

June 21-23
http://siliconbeachfest.com/

some interesting links here
http://www.forbes.com/sites/tarabrown/2012/03/06/why-los-angeles-will-outpace-silicon-valley-as-the-tech-startup-capital/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/tarabrown/2012/06/04/represent-la-maps-the-la-tech-startup-community/

in particular checkout
http://represent.la/

Notice the trend towards the beach..
there are startups which naturally are missing, so the data certainly is not complete

thanks
matti