[SGVLUG] Into the tech job market

matti mathew_2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 14 11:08:08 PDT 2012

Hi,

So, I wanted to expand on this subject for a short bit.
( Please feel free to add / discuss! )

While the tech job market has dramatically improved,

and appears to accept SOME on the job training

( i.e. no longer expecting 100% perfect candidates ),

they still want to see people with a minimum of 1-2years
of recent experience.

IF you are a recent Grad, please do review Dan Kegel's
comments, and those from Todd CC.

My additional suggestions:

MAKE YOUR OWN STARTUP / Project and just do it.
( or join someone's elses projects to help out. )

Yeah, I know you need income to pay basic bills.
( this is hard )

Some how you need to get experience with skills which
are in demand. ( Hint - Ruby, MySQL, nosql, MOBILE,
cloud this and that.. etc.. note, JAVA while interesting
is not in as great of a demand as for Ruby people right now,
remember also demand can dramatically change, so be

prepared! )

GOTO socalcodecamp! ( yes, I know it's in San Diego,
but you maybe able to chat with a few people at the
meeting tonite and make arrangements to share a place,
carpool, or.. just see if someone will rent a room for a night
on Craigslist. )

Drupal Camp is also coming up, and we DO need help
with the SGVLUG website. Drupal camp is a great event,
( Thanks Matt and Miguel for letting us know about this one! )

Also, we have some really good drupal meetups around town.
( also checkout the other meetups )

The opportunities are HERE NOW, so you need to start
right away learning and getting experience.

Suggestions:
You can do independent consulting, and offer fixed bids
for projects ( expect to spend extra time to delivery what
you need to. Its a great way to learn, ... but can be hard on
your schedule. )

There are a number of websites which attempt to connect
tech people with non-profits, that maybe a useful experience
for you also.
( Hint: google tech volunteer opportunities )

Also, remember you can really get a good idea of how well
you know something by presenting to SGVLUG :)

thanks
matti