[SGVLUG] 100GB Storage for $36 a year Re: Super Dimensional Fortress (sdf.org)

James McDuffie mcduffie at pitfall.org
Thu Jun 7 09:43:46 PDT 2012

A second thing I forgot to mention last night, since it was late:

SDF also has a Linux based system "...which provide computational and
data storage/hosting services for MetaARPA members. The current disk
quota for each user is 100 GB and will likely increase with time." The
MetaARPA membership level is $36 a year.
http://sdf.org/?tutorials/metaarray

You will have a large off site backup location for a low price if you
combine this with something like duplicity:
"Encrypted bandwidth-efficient backup using the rsync algorithm"
http://duplicity.nongnu.org/

And the best thing about MetaArray+Duplicity or encrpyted rsync or
git-annex is that you do not need one of those proprietary clients that
so many cloud based storage providers make you use. I have never seen an
ARM based compile of any of these clients, so that always meant I could
never use one of these providers with a low power consumption ARM device.

Hope this helps those who were looking for off site back up, many months
ago.