[SGVLUG] Buying a spool of ethernet wire - cat5e or cat6? Copper or aluminum? Where? How much?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Mon Jul 30 14:14:14 PDT 2012

I finally used up my old spool of cat5 (loaning it to
friends, wiring up my garage, etc.), and
I need to wire up some network outlets in my new house
(powerline networking #fail).  So time to buy a new
spool.

That brings up a few questions:

1) cat5e, or cat6?  cat5e should be sufficient for gigabit.

2) Copper, or copper-clad-aluminum?  Aluminum would probably be
annoyingly stiff.

3) Where to get it?  (My local electronics store, the one on Olympic
in Koreatown,
no longer does retail.  Fry's says they have cat5e for $110 for a 1000' roll,
but don't say whether it's copper.)

4) What's a fair price?

It looks like copper cat5e goes for something like $90 including
shipping on Amazon Prime, e.g.
http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Cable-Copper-Ethernet-Network/dp/B002D0DK8E/
though you can get copper-clad aluminum cat5e for about half that.