[SGVLUG] Open source under attack in the Senate?

Doug dougvargas at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 18 12:17:28 PDT 2012

Yeah, it seems that this isn't so much about the government wanting to shut down involvement in FOSS projects as it is them wanting to save money and engage with the public and/or with private industry. The gov has no problem with the nsa building foss tools as long as they're significantly different from existing tools, and if they aren't they should be integrated into other foss projects. I guess the gov sees it as a waste of money to develop tools that already exist, foss or otherwise. It seems like the nsa is just annoyed because they think their project can stand on its own and most people seem to agree with that.