[SGVLUG] Bottle Opener for SGVLUG members

John Wang red744t at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 12 13:12:05 PDT 2012

I don't know if the world needs another bottle openers, but anyway here it is.     When I first encounter open source software It took me a while to understand the concept of "Free as in freedom, not free as in beer."  The beer is still not free, but for SGVLUG members, the opener is.

The open source bottle opener is at,

www.thecuriouspenguin.com

Type in "freedom" for TuxCode and make sure you mention SGVLUG somewhere, ie project name, to receive your free opener and it will be marked with SGVLUG.  If you have visited the space and taken a bottle opener before, feel free to fill out the form and I'll send you another one.   The bottle opener has gone through a few different revisions.

Once I sort out the bugs, the free bottle opener offer will be available to all other open source contributors until either I depleted available funds or I lost interest.  Whatever comes first.

It is sort of an exercise in using open source software.  The website itself is running on a Rails framework, ie last's month presentation.   The bottle opener was designed with FreeCAD, dimensioned with LibreCAD and the machining G-code was written with gedit.  Even the photos were edited with ufraw and gimp from the dslr raw image files.

I used as much open source software as I can to manufacture the bottle opener.   The whole manufacturing process is at,

http://tux-lab.com/tux_project_detail?id=2

I think I've taken this open source approach for as far as I can.  If anyone is interested in forming an open source manufacturing enterprise, please let me know.   The space and equipments are pretty much free and I still have some funds for more equipments.  However, with my limited abilities,  open source manufacturing project is too time consuming to tackling on my own.

All standard open source disclaimers applies, ie things may break and you may have to modify the bottle opener to suit your needs.

thanks,

John