[SGVLUG] DDWRT vs OpenWRT

Dan Buthusiem dan.buthusiem at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 23:25:56 PDT 2012

Just wondering how many of you have been playing with DDWRT and OpenWRT.
I've been trying to make the jump to OpenWRT, but I've hit a few snags
witth the 5 GHz network performance and features.

Seems to me like DDWRT is easier to setup a working WDS mesh. I wasn't able
to establish a working link at 300 Mbps the way the stock and DDWRT
firmware could; speeds capped at 150 Mbps. Also, it seemed the signal was
weaker than DDWRT, and that was with DDWRT's stock settings. Adding in the
recommended settings for my 5 GHz radio brought a noticeable boost, though
still not enough to conquer the circuit breaker in the wall between the
living room and my bedroom. Drat.

Aside from wireless, I was wondering if anyone's been able to setup a load
balancer with the secondary WAN connection as a failover for when the
primary WAN goes down. I'm still playing with that, too. I really would
rather using a Gbit router, rather than buy a 100 Mbps (in my budget)
router from the likes of Cisco, SonicWall, etc., or building a Vyatta /
PFsense router with parts lying around. My WAN can spike to 80 Mbps
(measured over WiFi, no less), and we've been looking at possibly upgrading
to 100 (only the fastest access to the SGVLUG website for me! haha) at
home, so I don't want to be frustrated by interface saturation issues.

Sorry for the wall 'o text.

- Dan B.