[SGVLUG] Tim O'Reilly on SOPA + Monster Cable

matti mathew_2000 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 28 12:35:42 PST 2012

HI,

1) [ Definitely read this one.. ]
Tim O'Reilly ( http://radar.oreilly.com/tim/ ) on SOPA:
http://gigaom.com/2012/01/13/tim-oreilly-why-im-fighting-sopa/

( Re Tim's links - interesting, no facebook link, however a google+ and twitter .. hmm wonder what's up with that. )

2)
OH, and note, from CL:
Californians please note: among the remaining PIPA co-sponsors are craigslist's and the SF Bay Area's own Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) 202-224-3841,  and SoCal's Barbara Boxer (D-CA) 202-224-3553
http://www.craigslist.org/about/SOPA

3)
Oh, and here's another one to consider
( I'll summarize )

According to Monster Cable's site, the following sell counterfeit Monster Cable products:

Unauthorized sellers on eBay.com
Unauthorized sellers on Craigslist.org
Unauthorized sellers on sears.com
Buy.com
Costco, Costco Canada, Costco Mexico, Costco.ca, Costco.com
cowboom.com
cgi.ebay.fr
craigslist-intl.com
facebook.com
shop.ebay.co.uk
slickdeals.net ( funny, I have never seen anyone selling monster cables here, just telling people to buy competitor's products )
techbargains.com
pricegrabber.com
priceinspector.co.uk
pricespider.com

They list more.
http://www.monstercable.com/counterfeit/dealers_blk.asp

So, some believe that if SOPA/PIPA passes Monster Cable would somehow attempt to use SOPA vs these "Rogue Sites"

( Here's a list of companies reportedly supporting SOPA,
http://theoriesofconspiracy.com/2011/11/list-of-major-companies-supporting-sopa.htm
while Monster Cable is on it, I noticed that on their fb page they stated that they are neutral.
Now curious if they changed their public stance.. also I really can not believe Monster
Cable has ~61k likes! Wow, I should sell over priced cables!! )
http://www.facebook.com/monstercable?sk=app_223376317746568 )

Tech Dirt Article on SOPA and monster cables:
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20111005/10082416208/monster-cable-claims-ebay-craigslist-costco-sears-are-rogue-sites.shtml
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20111005/08134716207/monster-cable-blames-rogue-sites-rather-than-its-own-business-practices-stealing-good-will.shtml

Just for fun, Coat Hangers vs. Monster Cable.. lol
http://consumerist.com/2008/03/do-coat-hangers-sound-as-good-monster-cables.html

CL post on SOPA, includes Monster Cable issues
http://www.craigslist.org/about/SOPA

thanks
matti