[SGVLUG] Why Best Buy is going out of Business gradually

matti mathew_2000 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 14 14:59:08 PST 2012

Hi,

Chris, good reply. Indeed it is a challenge to manage a large corp entity.

It seems to be a love/hate relationship we customers often have with various vendors, eg Fry's especially to me.
( really wished there was a micro center nearer to us.. so far I have really liked my experiences with them.
Staples, I have also really enjoyed my experience with them recently. )

On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 7:44 AM, listreg <listreg_sr at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Found this response.....
>
> http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsavitz/2012/01/08/best-buy-ceo-brian-dunn-responds-to-forbes-com-article/
>
> Stephen

I found this comment on that reply to be interesting from the point of an employee's response ( assuming this person is actually an employee ):
( while I disagree with some of the points in this comment, but completely agree with the excessive pressure to purchase warranties every time I have been in Best Buy.) If "It’s all about the up-sell and the gimmicks." then that explains a lot.

aaron1985 4 days ago

"Brian Dunn’s response was completely inept. No one care’s about how much cash flow BB has received past quarter, etc. He still danced around the Christmas day issue. There’s almost a thousand comments on the first article, most negative. Think about how much lost revenue lies within just a thousand angry non-customers?
Best Buy has so much to offer, but it all gets miserably lost in their “model”. I actually currently work at Best Buy and I can tell you the motto is “no customer goes unserved” but that literally means “no customer goes out without getting harrassed to open a credit card”. I’m not joking. That is what is pushed, and I mean hard: Geek Squad Warranties and credit cards.
Management has transitioned from staff support to staff control. All reinforcement is negative. It’s all about the up-sell and the gimmicks. We try and instill fear in people that “their electronics will be hit by lightning”..etc. Not only do they need a bigger, more expensive product, but they need to pay for Best Buy to deliver it, install it, and “protect” it.
This is all over the place I know. I can just sum up and say that I completely agree with the article on Forbes it’s spot on, and Best Buy has 2 options: adapt or die. They’re currently choosing the latter. I make a non-commissioned 8.75 hourly wage. I’ll be fine."