[SGVLUG] Quick recap of tonight's meeting

Lan Dang l.dang at ymail.com
Fri Dec 14 01:15:28 PST 2012

Hi all,

There was a lot of stuff, but here are the highlights.

David Rodriguez gave a great talk about how to use Opscode Chef to configuration manage and restore your server infrastructure.  Braddock, Dan, and I were each videorecording the talk for our individual reasons.   We have permission from David to post the video  online, save for the last story which was not meant for the public record.

Richard Gaskin called for volunteers to help make sure there is an Ubucon (Ubuntu convention) at SCALE in February.

Richard also mentioned that Linux Foundation memberships could be had for $99, and it gets you discounts on books and computer purchases.

Michael Proctor-Smith asked that people who are interested in helping with SCALE A/V e-mail him at mproctor13 at gmail.com.

There was a question about the SGVLUG SCALE discount code.  It has not been released yet, but Mike will make inquiries.

As usual, I plugged the SGV HAK Hardware Hacking SIG, which meets on the first Thursday of the month at Hastings Library.  The next one is a couple of days after the new year--January 3rd, to be exact.
Please see the website for details and join our mailing list!
http://www.sgvhak.org

We completely forgot to mention it at the meeting proper, but Michael Starch has volunteered to give a talk for the January 10th meeting.   We don't yet know what room we'll be in.  I believe the topic will be IP proxies.  I am hoping he will post a blurb at some point so we can update the LUG website.  I half-way committed to giving a mini-presentation on  Amara, a crowdsourced captioning service.

Lan