[SGVLUG] HAK group question: How to remote control a millivolt thermostat (circuit)

Homan Chou homanchou at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 09:45:11 PST 2012

I'm not really trying to do anything crazy.  Anything involving
drilling holes or running long wires between rooms seems like I would
need more consultation (or hire an electrician) as I have no idea what
I'm doing.

I just wanted a minimally invasive thing I could do in order for my
daughter not to have cold hands and feet in the morning (she kicks off
her covers), and also not be woken by blazing heat that never turns
off.  (oh, and electric room heaters, though portable, are expensive
compared to gas, which is why I wanted to centralize on using the gas
heat because it works so well).

The reed relay worked really well last night.  It was comfortably cozy
upstairs without being too hot or too cold.  The solution just doesn't
look nice and contained (the arduino and breadboard with wires hanging
out on the dinning table).  But for now my wife is satisfied with my
ingenuity, which is what's important.  :)