[SGVLUG] HAK group question: How to remote control a millivolt thermostat (circuit)

Matthew Campbell dvdmatt at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 20:18:30 PST 2012

You can get a new digital thermostat from the home store for $15-35
depending on your features.  Usually zoning requires the cooperation of the
furnace controller as it needs to negotiate between two thermostats which
may be calling for very different functions.

If you want to make this into a project you can replace the thermostat in
the dining room with a receiver like an X10 thermostat and put a wireless
or PLC thermostat upstairs that communicates with it.  The downstairs
thermostat then negotiates between your two sensors and sends a single
signal to the heater.

I am sorry you were not able to make it to this month's meeting.  I was
giving away all the required parts at the meeting and you would have been
able to talk to people who have done this before.  This online list is
really great for getting advice like this but the meetings offer a lot more.

There are usually several fun projects to look at.  Seeing what others are
doing can inspire your dreams and tinkering.

I hope to see you at future meetings,

Matt

On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 12:38 PM, Michael Proctor-Smith <mproctor13 at gmail.com