[SGVLUG] HAK group question: How to remote control a millivolt thermostat (circuit)

Scott Packard spackard at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 11:15:13 PST 2012

What you don't see by removing the cover is the hysteresis built into the
existing thermostat.
You must build that into your remote thermostat, or you'll burn out your
heater.

In HVAC terminology, you're trying to do zoning, where either zone can call
for the heater to be lit.
Probably the easiest way is just to acquire another thermostat for the
upstairs, and run a wire downstairs.

As far as the magnet holding the heater on longer than you think it needs
to, the hysteresis is usually adjustable,
but, is usually adjusted right for the unit, though maybe not right for
your taste.

You may find happiness by using a ceiling fan instead, and run it so it
pulls air upward to the ceiling.
It'll allow mixing of hot air close to the ceiling with cold air at bed
level, without blowing air across your body which cools
you by evaporating perspiration.

Regards, Scott