[SGVLUG] Shopping for computer for father-in-law...

Rami Al-Ghanmi alghanmi at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 23:34:14 PDT 2012

As the resident family support-team, I found that after a sit-down with
most of my elderly relatives, an iPad with an external keyboard is more
that they need. Specially if you couple that with a printer that is
compatible with iPhone/iPad printing.

Although it does not seem "future proof", if internet, email, photo sharing
and ebooks is 90% of their use, an iPad is more that when they need.

On the topic of Dell's, I found them to be the least future proof machines
you can get. Custom case, custom mobo and you can hardly fit anything extra
in it. I, personally, think that future proofing a machine does
not necessarily mean getting a better processor, but definitely means
getting a better graphics card. If you are willing to build a machine, Toms
Hardware $500 monthly gaming rig is a good place to start.

Rami