[SGVLUG] oracle vs google ( JAVA, Android )

matti mathew_2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 23 20:24:53 PDT 2012

fyi - saw this comment which looked like a good summary for those not having enough time to read this everyday - matti
( I'm guessing if Oracle wins Java will be on the decline.. )
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Here is a quick break down.

Java is a programming language. Sun has a way to use the programs written in Java (virtual machine). Google did not want to pay to use their system, so they made their own way to use programs written in Java.
Sun is owned by Oracle, and they think that the fact that Google can use programs written in Java infringes on their rights.
Google says, we did not steal any of your code, we wrote our own way of using Java programs. So kiss off. Oracle says, we don't care, no matter what, the way that Java programs run in any system is through APIs (application programmer interfaces). We we came up with the logic for those, who cares who wrote the code in use. The logic is what matters, so you owe us.
Problems:
Oracle: The logic should not be enough to win a case like this, unless there are patents involved (which their aren't).
Google: Nothing like this has ever been tried before, so there is no case precedent. Google has to hope that the judge and jury are smart enough to understand what is going on here. Based on the intelligence of the average US citizen, Google most likely has an uphill battle."

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2012/04/opinion-samuels-google-oracle/

also if you like to read a lot...
http://www.groklaw.net/