[SGVLUG] interesting DNS server redirect story

Dan Buthusiem dan.buthusiem at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 20:01:27 PDT 2012

Actually, I have a story about this. For thise who don't want to read the
whole thing, this is why you should always change your default passwords.

I had a user tell me he was getting weird web pages and pop-ups from all of
the computers on his home network. While I was testing from a Linux
netbook, I noticed pages like Google were getting re-directed, too. I
checked his router's config and found that because the router's default
login had never been changed, someone who got access to his network through
a Trojan had managed to reconfigure his network to use rogue DNS servers.
Once I corrected it (and changed the password), everything went back to
normal. The scary thing is that all of the computers just showed the router
as their DNS server, so it would have been impossible to tell had I not
checked the router on a hunch. He had already wiped his two PCs before he
had me check things out, so this turned out to be a tactic that persisted
and evaded extreme anti-malware measures.

Things keep getting more interesting as tech advances.

- Dan

Sent from mobile.