[SGVLUG] Website / Mailing List Updates, Ideas

James McDuffie mcduffie at pitfall.org
Wed Apr 18 14:57:33 PDT 2012

tl;dr:
1. Lets go ahead and use the Github website and help me improve it
2. Lets get some traction on the mailing list/forum work

WEBSITE DECISIONS

The following is from the my recollection of the discussion we had. Let
me know if I am misremembering things.

I think everyone was in agreement that using Github to host the main
"landing page" for the user group was a good idea. The one dissension
was related to it not being as easy to update the website from mobile
devices, since you need to use git versus a web form. However, a
counterpoint was that those who are actually putting out the effort
should be the ones steering the implementation. Also Michael Starch
volunteered to help me with updating and posting to the website.

That being said I think we should go ahead with adopting the Github page
at some near future date. Recently I went through and dumped all the
meeting announcements from the Caltech calendar and added them as pages
on the website. However, I am limited by what content was available and
so some pages just say: "monthly meeting."

I think the website is good to go, my only remaining reservation is that
the fonts and margin widths the template designer chose are a bit too
big on smaller devices such as smart phones. But this is just a matter
of tweaking the CSS.

WEBSITE HELP NEEDED
discussions at the time
2. Fix the CSS to look better across a broad range of devices. Luckily
the template uses LESS CSS (http://lesscss.org/) which makes this much
easier to maintain.
3. Add links to (or copies of) presentation material: slides, videos,
etc, websites

With these changes the main website will be sort of an archive of the
group at a gross level.

MAILING LIST
1. Michael Proctor-Smith who currently hosts it at his house desires this
2. We have had drop outs in the past due to power and human error that
caused messages to bounce from this arrangement

I did a bit of research to see if there was a simple way to host a
mailing list for free while still maintaining the current mailto
address. But, I could not find anything at that price point.

The mailing list will have to be hosted somewhere and someone will have
to shell out for the hosting wherever it lives. There are possibilities
for moving the mailing list to say Google Groups or Nabble, etc, but
those would mean everyone would have to post to a new mailing list
address. I do not think anyone wants that, I certainly don't.

Now coming back to the promised Drupal website. I think the
forum/mailing list integration would be a cool feature. And we could
host this at say, forum.sgvlug.org or some similar domain name. Matt has
said that he has talked to Paul (sorry don't remember the last name) and
he has volunteered hosting this.

My only request is that enough group members have access behind the
scenes so that there is no single point failure. If possible we should
have sort of redundancy set up.

DRUPAL
------
Matt, Miguel, if you do not have time to finish your implementation,
then maybe you can post what you have so far to, say Github? We can
certainly set up a repository for that.

MAILING LIST ARCHIVE
backup archives.

http://gmane.com/ has 13k + websites that it archives and they appear to
allow you to send them your curring mbox formatted archive to include.

We could use this service to have a backup archive for all existing
messages and any future ones for the new incarnation of the list. And
yes they do respect the X-No-Archive header value for the privacy minded.

APOLOGIES
---------
Sorry for the tl;dr, just trying to capture everything as best I can.