[SGVLUG] job markets and interviews

matti mathew_2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 17 20:23:29 PDT 2012

Hi Julie,

I have heard of this, however, I doubt we will see this happen
with a lot of the tech jobs ( at least the ones which require

experience ). Probably will see it with otherjobs.

Interviews take time. You can easily expect to take a good 1/2
day on an on site interview. ( also recruiters may want to see
you in person also before submitting you to a position. )

Most of the time, they will have you interview with multiple
people on the same day.

Since there are very many tech job openings currently for those with
experience my guess is that if the companies spend too much
time dragging their feet they will miss a chance to pickup

talent.

The funny thing I still see, is the ads on Craigslist asking for the
world in experience for tech skilled "interns and students" and saying it will be a

good experienceand they will pay for your ( gas | lunch | parking | twinkie )
but not basically pay you, or if they do pay only $10/hr for someone who
really should be getting paid better ( judging by the requirements.. )

Honestly I hope any of these "interns" just go into business themselves,
as they will probably do better.

Also, I am seeing still some 3rd parties who will be getting a great cut
out of your wages for a short term contract and want to pay you less
than what others are willing to pay for your skills full time.

Honestly, I think they will have a hard time to fill those positions,
especially those in the Bay Area.

What I am also seeing now is that the recruiters are young (i.e. not as
experienced as I have seen in the past. ) and may have only
been doing this job for 1-2years. Some are much better than
others, but sometimes I wonder if they aren't just cold calling
the HR manager in the first place. A good recruiter should be
able to get your resume reviewed by the hiring manager.. or
so you hope.

Often I have gotten approached by several recruiters for the same
position. ( you have to be careful, you only want to be submitted
once to that job or your resume may get rejected.. )

Going to interviews I have found areas which I needed to brush up on,
as it seems everyone likes to quiz you on tech. So, even if you go
on a few interviews and get no job offer you will learn what you
need to focus more on in terms of skill set.

The hard part I still see out there is the "catch 22", needing a
particular type of experience before you can get the job which
will give you that experience.

Thankfully, linux and cloud computing as made this very affordable
to learn. HOWEVER, if you are in a tight position financially even
a minimal cost can break your monthly budget.

Hope this was useful!

thanks
matti