[SGVLUG] tech job market research

matti mathew_2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 10 01:17:23 PDT 2012

Hi,

Well, this isn't very scientific .. mostly just my impressions I wanted to share..

Highest Salary / Rate offered for linux related engineering which I have seen so far:
$160k
$90/hr ( thats w2! )

Yes, both are in the Bay areas.
Both are for top linux developers/software engineering skill sets.

Lots of good Linux related engineering jobs out there.
Lots of recruiters jumping about.

Due to the market conditions, it looks like compensation levels
are up in the mid-senior level jobs. ( I'm seeing a LOT of 6 figure
numbers now for senior level positions.. granted most just break

the 6 figure mark )

I'm seeing more and more system admin jobs which require knowing both
linux and windows systems ( and many also with Mac OS X ).

Seeing quite a bit of CISCO and SANs thrown into the requirements.
Not certain of the numbers, but MS Windows system admin positions
are offering significantly less than Linux sys admin positions. Off hand,
The difference maybe as high as 30%..

Bait and switch... saw a linux admin position which turned out to
be a freeBSD position. Surprised me.. I've used BSD before,
but certainly know BSD isn't as strong of a market, so thus why
I guess someone posted it as a Linux job.

I'm still seeing some other Unix variants listed in jobs, but more
and more it seems that the other variants are existing in non cutting
edge operations ( probably still critical components to the work they do )

I did see a few Open Solaris jobs. ( at SCALE there was a very interesting
BOF on the topic of Open Solaris.. )

Anyways, just wanted to share with you all.

thanks
matti