[SGVLUG] openfiler

Joel Witherspoon joel.witherspoon at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 09:36:28 PDT 2012

On Thursday, April 5, 2012, matti wrote:

> Curious if anyone here has tried Openfiler, and what your experiences were
> with it? - thanks matti
> ( looks like you can setup a SAN with it.. )
>
> Openfiler is an operating system that provides file-based network-attached
> storage and block-based storage area network. It was created by Xinit
> Systems, and is based on the rPath Linux distribution. It is free
> software licensed under the GNU General Public License version 2. Its
> software stack interfaces with open source third-party software.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Openfiler
>
> http://openfiler.com/

Yep! I have about six Openfiler servers in my enterprise. They can attach
to MS Active Directory and other LDAP-based directory services. They are
good, cheap servers for classroom applications (yearbook, media & design,
stage craft, drafting & architecture, etc) and can run on just about
anything. I haven't been disappointed yet.