[SGVLUG] Cheapest way to extend laptop wifi range?

Christopher Smith cbsmith at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 09:49:57 PDT 2012

On Apr 3, 2012, at 9:29 AM, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 8:18 AM, Christopher Smith <cbsmith at gmail.com> wrote:
>> A cantenna + an old wifi router is probably about $5. I'll acknowledge
>> cheating a bit by assuming the wifi router was available free or next
>> to no cost.
>
> True, but I'm looking for something usb-powered.  I'm probably ok
> for now, just have to get one more 5dbi whip.

Yeah, I think I'm not groking the significance of the USB. My sense was that it was a portable way to attach a secondary wifi adapter to your laptop which you could then rig with better antennas. I thought it would be easier to have a fixed device that can act as a bridge (more in a metaphorical sense than a layer-2 sense) from your house to these outside wifi services. Then your laptop's existing wifi is sufficient.