[SGVLUG] DR/BCP - can you survive a power outage?

matti mathew_2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 9 11:29:41 PDT 2011

Hi,

I enjoyed last night's meeting.
Hopefully you did also, and hopefully
we covered all of your significant questions.

I like to review DR/BCP when I see headlines of "outages".

Arriving home I was thinking about how to survive
the power outages happening in San Diego.

DO you have UPSes on your servers/networking equipment?
Have you tested them?
( hint normally, you have them supporting the server
for only a short period of time before they shutdown
gracefully, and you do need to periodically replace
the batteries. )

Normally, when we plan BCP/DR, we do not imagine
having to survive through such a long power outage
without other infrastructure damage (i.e. due earthquake,
storms, etc.. )

So, the massive power outages there are a rather unique case
( at least in the USA, for example i hear in India power is
not as reliable as here ).

Power Generators normally would be used to support the
Data Centers and other infrastructure which must remain
operational.

Question: How many hours can they run before needing a fillup??
( remember service stations need power to pump gas/diesel )

Normally Datacenters of cloud service providers will have
contracts to supply diesel to their datacenters during power
outages.

Thanks!
Matti

ps - we are looking for presenters, please let us know if you know of any.