[SGVLUG] Continuous Integration [Was:] lunch at norma's tacos?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Fri Sep 2 12:14:11 PDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 2:03 PM, Steve M Bibayoff <bibayoff at gmail.com> wrote:
>> and set up a buildbot (see http://wiki.winehq.org/BuildBot ).
>
> Just curious as to why you choose BuildBot? Features that you needed
> that this had and others didn't? Easy of use? setup? other?
>
> There was a continuous integration tool I was looking at a few years
> ago that I really liked, but can't recall the name right now. Did find
> a list put into a matrix form here:
> http://confluence.public.thoughtworks.org/display/CC/CI+Feature+Matrix
> but still can't locate the one I was thinking of.

Looking at that matrix, I guess the important bits are support for
- git
- distributed builds
- text file configuration
- no preferred build tool
- no need to modify build scripts
- supports apps written in C
- native windows, linux, mac apps (so not restricted to java or .net or ...)
- tool must be free and open source
and one feature not on that list: the ability to trigger builds with
patches rather than checkins.

Of those, I think "no preferred build tool" wipes out most of them,
free and open source wipes out most of the rest, and distributed
builds knocks out a few.

Really, though, I picked it because that's what we used when I was on
the Chromium project.

The "no preferred build tool" requirement is part of the
"no need to modify build scripts" and "apps written in C"
requirement.
- Dan