[SGVLUG] LA City councilman notes issues with Google email security

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Mon Oct 24 05:43:59 PDT 2011

I'm not even quite clear what security features LA is
asking for.  The closest info I've found is
http://articles.latimes.com/2010/nov/03/business/la-fi-google-la-20101103
which says
'[In August, 2010], city officials said, they were surprised to
find that the system had to address federal requirements
for "securing law enforcement information on criminal activity."'

Maybe it's something like the HIPAA health care situation.
https://www.infosecisland.com/blogview/14328-HIPAA-Compliance-and-Cloud-Security.html
mentions a few possible issues, including "limiting access to some
information by IP address".

I see Google did add two-factor authentication recently,
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/02/advanced-sign-in-security-for-your.html
so that's probably not it.
- Dan