[SGVLUG] AV Guard Virus

Dan Buthusiem dan.buthusiem at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 15:46:03 PDT 2011

Did you manage to successfully back up your data from that drive? If
so, then I would recommend re-connecting that drive to the computer
you used for the backup, then formatting that laptop drive. That
should take care of the virus, if it's just affecting that drive.

Now, with that drive outside of your laptop, you should still be able
to successfully POST and boot your laptop with removable drives
(optical disk, flash, usb hdd, etc). If you can boot without that
drive connected, at least you can narrow your boot issues to being
something with that hard drive. I troubleshot a laptop a few months
ago that couldn't always boot from anything until I removed the hard
drive. After a quick trip to Fry's for a new disk and a long stop at
Wendy's to reload the OS, problem solved.

If you haven't solved it by then, I should have time to poke at it at
BC after our next meeting.