[SGVLUG] Linux Virtual Private Server Providers

James McDuffie mcduffie at pitfall.org
Sat May 21 11:12:59 PDT 2011

I have used Slicehost, Linode and various discount VPS providers.

First off Slicehost and Linode often get compared. I think that they are
pretty much feature equivalent. But Linode is definitely cheaper for
more features. In fact Linode every so often upgrades all their plans
gratis. I don't think I have ever seen Slicehost do such a thing and
their offerings seem to have stagnated.

The nice thing about a Xen provider such as Linode is the amount of
customisation you can do to your virtual machine. You can partition you
allocated disk space however you want and even upload your own distro
image. All of this capability is subject to limitations of course such
as any installation image counts against your disk space allocation, so
you might have to get creative on the lower plans. Also since it is Xen
your distro has to be running a Xen Linux kernel.

Now if you are willing to trade off some of that flexibility for price
you can go to a different class of VPS provider. This enters the realm
of a buyer's market since there are so many of these companies. However,
buyer beware because some of them come and go in a matter of months.
And, not being hyperbolic here, some are run by teenagers who outsource
support to India, seriously. You can identify this class of provider by
the fact that just about all of them you manager your container using
SolusVM. Also for the most part they all use OpenVZ. You should look and
see if what SolusVM provides is an interface that would meet your
criteria for what you want to do with a VPS. Pretty much all it allows
you to do is deploy a new image (have to use theirs), reboot and log
into the console should networking be down.

The best resource for such providers is:
http://www.lowendbox.com/
Every quarter they ask for comments on best host:
http://www.lowendbox.com/wiki/top-providers

I have had a good experience with both BuyVM and Quickweb as listed in
their top providers. Every so often BuyVM has available $15 a year
OpenVZ container that sells out within 30 minutes. Quickweb used to
offer bigger discounts than they have recently. With any provider you
pick check Lowendbox for discount codes also check WebHosting Talk:
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/
for offers. Always look for what other people have said about any of
these companies. Check how long the domain has been registered and if
they seem legit. If you do your due diligence you can get a pretty good
deal.