[SGVLUG] tech deals, inc portable wireless dd-wrt router $15AR Re: MC has a 1 TB HF for $40

matti mathew_2000 at yahoo.com
Tue May 17 12:27:01 PDT 2011

Hi,

1) this iirc can run dd-wrt:
ASUS WL-330gE IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g 4-in-one portable wireless router
was: $69.99
$34.99
save: $35.00
$14.99 after mail-in rebate card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320025

2)
> Hi Matti,
>
> Their 2TB drives are only $79 ($99 for 7200RPM 32G cache)
> and 3TB
> starting at $149.
>
> I don't see that this is a time limited price, did I miss
> something?
>
> http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0331601
> http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0347356
>
> Matt

IF we wait long enough the price just gets better ;)

actually this special sold out quickly.

Having just recently gone into their store,
$35-40 typically gets you a refurb 320-500 HD.

so for $40 getting a new HD, AND 1 TB is actually
a really good deal right now.

actually it surprises me how much prices can vary
between stores each week. Guess the tech stores
are just like the supermarkets, where one has chicken
one week for $0.69/lb and steak for $9/lb and
another has chicken for $1.59/lb and steak for $3.99/lb
and the NEXT week it flips!

bottom line for us I guess is having to cherry pick
the deals.

naturally the better deals per GB/$ for most HDs
are in the 2TB area right now.

so if you are looking at just maxing the GB/$ pricing
this is less of a deal.

there are deals for 2TB HD for the $60-70 neighborhood
( + tax for us of course.. )
sometimes there are external usb2 drives

finally the internal 3TB HDD are getting more available,
and the prices getting better each time I look.

here's what is considered a deal on the 3TB HDD  today:
HITACHI Deskstar 3TB for $120
5400 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145493
( btw to get that price you need to enter the following
code in checkout: $10off with code EMCKEJC22 )

thanks
matti

ps - man, miss the messages Tom used to post.