[SGVLUG] May meeting.. this week

Miguel Hernandez migtek at gmail.com
Mon May 9 18:12:55 PDT 2011

Howdy matti & sgvlug'ers.

I'd started a response to your request you sent out the end of the week &
contacted the person whom I think would be best to chat on it but haven't
gotten definitive confirmation from him so hadn't responded here yet. It'd
be about Voces Mobiles / Mobile Voices, a great project that's using open
source software to build a platform for citizen journalism for folks who
might otherwise not have access to technology. There's even a white label
version in the works that will be released under the GPL which will be
available to all (basically, a Drupal distribution). The way it works is
users are able to create content by simply sending text messages w/media
attachments (if they choose), images/audio/video.
http://www.vozmob.net

While I could speak on it, Sasha would be best, since I'm pretty new to the
project. Besides, i'm not 100% sure I can make it out this thurs (just yet).
If it doesn't happen, maybe you could put me down as presenter for July (tho
it'd be cool to present while the students are in session since, to me, the
possibilities are endless & might spark some "aha" moments which is what hit
me when I first heard about it).

So just wanted to let y'all know I'm looking out for ya, Matti. It's just
not firmed up yet. :(

cheers,
--miguel