[SGVLUG] Questions about CMS's

Tom Emerson starman9x at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 15:22:42 PST 2011

Thanks for the insights.

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 12:54 PM, Braydon Fuller <courier at braydon.com> wrote:
> WordPress primarily feature has been for blogs. However since 3.0, things
> look to be moving to becoming more complicated and moving towards other
> types of posts. [...]

yes, I was reading the online docs for wordpress, and it seems there
is a (new?) feature called "pages" for things that aren't traditional
blog entry/articles - joomla refers to this as "static content", so at
least I can wrap my head around the concept.

> Drupal is a terrible CMS, and an excellent framework. [...]
> Drupal is very popular with developers and not with users.

ok...

> Joomla I would say it's strength is more flexibility an neutral stance for
> article based works, and has an admin interface. [...]

I did find a tutorial that covers exactly what I'm attempting -
converting an existing (small) site to joomla, so I may go with that,
though perhaps as a "rough draft" to see if the results will be worth
the effort (partly due to the fact I am using an older version for the
site I maintain, so there is still some new learning to go through)

> There is a bit of unfulfilled niche for sites that are mostly static, but
> could be benefited from a management system to reduce unnecessary
> complexities and duplication.

exactly my reasons for considering a CMS for this - I want to keep the
pages consistent for layout, but I cannot rely on any future "page
editors" having access to "tool xyz" to ensure the site maintains
consistency - with a CMS approach, the tool is on the server with the
site and uses a "template" for the layout - page editors can focus on
content and not worry about maintaining links if products are added or
deleted.

BTW: Matt C. just called me a moment ago and has a similar need, so he
is working on getting a few folks together to do a study group sort of
thing to learn about the different CMS's and/or deciding on what to
use for a small project like this.