[SGVLUG] OT: any android tablet made in a democratic country

bobjaffray at juno.com bobjaffray at juno.com
Wed Mar 2 07:53:10 PST 2011

---------- Original Message ----------
From: David Lawyer <dave at lafn.org>
To: "SGVLUG Discussion List." <sgvlug at sgvlug.net>
Subject: Re: [SGVLUG] any android tablet made in a democratic country
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 22:08:55 -0800

On Tue, Mar 01, 2011 at 04:49:52PM -0800, John E. Kreznar wrote:
> Hats off to all who weigh the moral implications of their decisions!
>
> Question, please, whether political "democracy" (aka tyranny of the
> majority) can be considered "moral".
>
> (But we veer off topic.)

Veering more off topic:

The resulting imbalance of trade due to importing goods to the US is
usually less if it's made in China since the cost is lower there.  I
think that a major problem is the disastrous deindustrialization of
the US.  I claim that the service sector depends on the manufacturing
sector and put such views on the Internet.  See
http://www.lafn.org/~dave/gov/collapse.html Financial Collapse by DL
(it needs updating).  So shame on you all for buying stuff not made in
the USA :-) including all the components.

Regarding democracy vs. non-democracy, I think democracy is usually
better but two examples of economic success in non-democracies was the
Soviet Union, and today it's China.

			David Lawyer

BJ: Exactly, David. And the reason it worked and works for those
nondemocracies is their cheating, with the concomitant complicity
of the democratic governments going along due to pressures
of the private sector for financial gain. The true cost is never
paid by the nondemocratic producers in addition to the cheating,
so the discrepancy is even larger.

Bob Jaffray