[SGVLUG] drive recovery

nopbin at gmail.com nopbin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 01:22:35 PDT 2011

> In a posting purporting to be from yoshio <ak209 at lafn.org> but lacking
> a digital signature, it is written:
>
>> I have a WD400BB IDE hard drive (40 gig) that's not recognized by the
>> BIOS, it doesn't seem to even spin up.  It was running Ubuntu 10.04,
>> I upgraded grub-pc and grub-common, rebooted, then the drive
>> suddenly was not recognized by BIOS.  I tried two different computers,
>> so it's not the IDE data cable or power connector that's the problem.
>> I don't have another drive of the same kind to swap controller boards.
>> What else can I try?

Scott Moulton has presented a number of times on hard drive recovery.
He runs a professional recovery business.  If the data is important
enough, I highly recommend patronizing him as he shares a lot with the
community and my own impression from talking with him is that he has a
lot of integrity and is good at what he does.

http://www.myharddrivedied.com/

If you plan to try your own hand at it, here are some of the resources
he has published.  He provides information about how to find
compatible salvage parts, the most likely parts to fail and how to
replace components.  Some of the maneuvers are delicate and require a
bit of practice so weigh that when deciding whether to send it out.

http://www.myharddrivedied.com/presentations-resources
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=scott+moulton

Good luck!

2011/6/20 John E. Kreznar <jek at ininx.com>:
> But the highlight that might interest you most is the software and
> scripting that I used to enable numerous repeated spin-up attempts

Nice!