[SGVLUG] network tuners?

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 02:01:40 PST 2011

Okay, so I'm building a replacement for my 6 year old desktop and I
was going to look at getting a new TV tuner card (so I can watch TiVo
from my desk) when someone suggested a network tuner.  My immediate
reaction was that I wasn't interested as it would be redundant since I
already have two TiVo's in the house.  However, after thinking about
it, I realized it would allow me to watch stuff from any computer in
the house, not just my desktop.  So, any recommendations?  I'm
interested in hearing what the client apps are like and if they
support both windoze and Linux.

BTW, to watch the output from any of the TiVos, DVD players, etc, I
have a 4-channel modulator (unfortunately, not stereo as those are too
expensive) configured to send stuff back out on cable channels 120-125
so it's just a matter of tuning to say 125 to watch the output of the
TiVo in the Family room.

claude