[SGVLUG] This is the droid you've been writing for...

John E. Kreznar jek at ininx.com
Wed Jan 12 20:37:20 PST 2011

In a message purporting to be from Tom Emerson <starman9x at gmail.com>
but lacking a digital signature, it is written:

> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 7:24 AM, John E. Kreznar <jek at ininx.com> wrote:

>> Is it still the case that reading ("reverse engineering") of the SDK
>> is forbidden by the terms?

>> It used to be that one would have to agree as follows [1].

>>   3.3 Except to the extent required by applicable third party
>>   licenses, you may not copy (except for backup purposes), modify,
>>   adapt, redistribute, decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, or
>>   create derivative works of the SDK or any part of the SDK.  ...

>> [1] http://developer.android.com/sdk/terms_body.html

> hard to say -

Agreed.

> ... the specific reference you give here is 404

Turns out that clause is still in there [2].  It's encountered when
trying to obtain the list of packages available for download.

[2] https://dl-ssl.google.com/android/repository/repository.xml

Clause 3.3 there is immediately followed by

   3.4 Use, reproduction and distribution of components of the SDK
   licensed under an open source software license are governed solely
   by the terms of that open source software license and not this
   License Agreement.

How can clauses 3.3 and 3.4 be reconciled?  Can we assume from the
project name ("Android Open Source Project") that everything here is
open source?  Then why is the reverse engineering clause in there at
all?

> ... seems to have conflicting terms associated with it ...

Agreed.

- --
 John E. Kreznar jek at ininx.com 9F1148454619A5F08550 705961A47CC541AFEF13

   Reverse engineering is the process of discovering the technological
   principles of a device, object or system through analysis of its
   structure, function and operation.

     -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_engineering