[SGVLUG] Windows/Mac screen capture and recording

Matthew Campbell dvdmatt at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 11:21:53 PST 2011

Good morning Rae, responses are inline.

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 9:57 AM, Rae Yip <rae.yip at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sounds pretty cool. I haven't used sox in ages, but it's an elegant
> tool (for a more civilized age). Beats having audacity crash on me
> while I'm recording.
LOL!

> One problem that hasn't been mentioned is that each speaker is running
> on their personal laptop, so you would have to either force them to
> set up screencasting on their own system or make them prepare their
> presentations for a dedicated recording rig. The latter presents
> issues if there is any custom software they want to demo.
The solution the Drupal group uses is to run the software from a USB
key, no install needed on the presenter's computer.  After the talk
the file is saved to the key and goes back to the organizers for
posting.

> Another issue is that we reduce the incentive for people to attend if
> they can just watch it online. I'm okay with the compromise where
> audio is recorded and slides are presented, but the rest of the
> visuals are exclusive to the attendees (who can record video if they
> so choose).

I understand your point, but I disagree.  I think that people come to
our meetings be able to interact with their peers and to ask questions
of the presenter (and for the hamburgers afterward!).  I do not think
that posting the talks to the site would be detrimental to the group.
Documenting our talks on the site would potentially open our group to
new membership as the site becomes a resource for others in the
community.  It would allow members who were out of town to be able to
participate in our online discussions.  It would serve as a good
resource for those two attended the talk to go back and pick up
information they found relevant and would help document the good
things this club does.

In my opinion a lot of good could come from documenting our lectures.

You could argue that recording the speaker might scare away a lecturer
(security topics?).  We could make posting the lecture to the site the
default, but any presenter could request anonymity or an edit of the
stream first.

It could also be argued that having a recognized online pool of talks
could help us attract good lecturers.

Just some thoughts, what does everyone think?

Matt