[SGVLUG] Article about Tom in the Glendale News Press

bobjaffray at juno.com bobjaffray at juno.com
Mon Apr 18 16:20:07 PDT 2011

---------- Original Message ----------
From: matti <mathew_2000 at yahoo.com>
To: "SGVLUG Discussion List." <sgvlug at sgvlug.net>
Subject: Re: [SGVLUG] Article about Tom in the Glendale News Press
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 12:42:34 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

> Since the LUG was founded in 1995, he couldn't have been a
> founding
> member.

Was it called the SGVLUG then??

BJ: No, for a while it was SGVLLUG. And that came about
through discussion of what to call ourselves. We informally
agreed that we were broader than Pasadena/Altadena and so
agreed on using San Gabriel Valley. But the group was already
in existence and had been going on for some time as David Lawyer
points out. I don't remember that the agreement came about
at the meeting at David Lawyer's house.

or was it something else??

Are any of the original adverts regarding the group available?

BJ: Well, you ask about founding "member." We have never had
any "members." We did take attendance for a while, and people
put down email addresses. And we never had any "officers."
Tom was not there at Guenther's place. He was there at
Fuller Seminary and was reliable and stepped forward
in a relative vacuum, not because others were not interested
but were just not always available.

When did it become SGVLUG?

SGVLUG.org domain records show 1999.

Unless there is other info available I believe Tom
has every right to be considered a founding member
of the SGVLUG.

re continued existence of the sgvlug

> I don't think anyone knows for sure.  If he hadn't
> volunteered to help
> during these periods, someone else might have.

MIGHT HAVE.

BJ: So?

( personally I KNOW for certain, that had it not
been for Tom we would not have had the long history
of regular and quality meetings we have had. )

Had someone else volunteered, I doubt they would have
done as good and consistent of a job as Tom has
for as long as Tom did. ( w the group from 1997-2011 )
AND I doubt they would have been as inclusive about
getting others to help as Tom did. I've joined and
attended many professional/interest groups, and many
have had leaders that are more like dictators.
( and many turned out have short lives.. )

BJ: On that we can agree. Though I had always thought
that the high level tended to exclude inexperienced
people who might otherwise have adopted and taken
more interest in Linux. The idea of beginner's segment
for meetings was introduced but eventually dropped.

Tom gave people MANY MANY chances in the meetings
to take over his any aspects of his "job" NONE chose
to do so, until Mike volunteered to handle MCing.
( thanks Mike! )

Tom did a GREAT JOB. He deserves the appropriate
respect and consideration.

BJ: He did and does. Very much.

Bob

thanks