[SGVLUG] Article about Tom in the Glendale News Press

matti mathew_2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 18 12:42:34 PDT 2011

Hi,

> Since the LUG was founded in 1995, he couldn't have been a
> founding
> member.

Was it called the SGVLUG then??
or was it something else??

Are any of the original adverts regarding the group available?

When did it become SGVLUG?

SGVLUG.org domain records show 1999.

Unless there is other info available I believe Tom
has every right to be considered a founding member
of the SGVLUG.

re continued existence of the sgvlug

> I don't think anyone knows for sure.  If he hadn't
> volunteered to help
> during these periods, someone else might have.

MIGHT HAVE.

( personally I KNOW for certain, that had it not
been for Tom we would not have had the long history
of regular and quality meetings we have had. )

Had someone else volunteered, I doubt they would have
done as good and consistent of a job as Tom has
for as long as Tom did. ( w the group from 1997-2011 )
AND I doubt they would have been as inclusive about
getting others to help as Tom did. I've joined and
attended many professional/interest groups, and many
have had leaders that are more like dictators.
( and many turned out have short lives.. )

Tom gave people MANY MANY chances in the meetings
to take over his any aspects of his "job" NONE chose
to do so, until Mike volunteered to handle MCing.
( thanks Mike! )

Tom did a GREAT JOB. He deserves the appropriate
respect and consideration.

thanks
matti

==== ( fixed a typo ) =====

Hi,

Tom, just to be clear, never claimed to be THE founder,
just a founding member. Which I have no reason to doubt due
to his character. He was one of the nicest guys I knew.
And I never knew him to not give others their appropriate
credit.

According to his linkedin he had been with the SGVLUG
since 1997.

Honestly I believe the SGVLUG would no longer exist
had it not been for his contributions to ensure it
meet regularly even during the transitions and lulls.

I think he was often the glue which held the laminated
wood together which we call the SGVLUG.

I am sad to see him go.

rest in peace tom.

thanks