[SGVLUG] aptitude vs apt-get - informative article

Matthew Campbell dvdmatt at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 16:20:12 PDT 2010

That is an interesting article as it parallels a problem I am facing.  I
wonder if yum also has the functionality of being able to freeze the level
of an installed package and can manage multiple versions of the same
package.

I have a series of websites that I manage.  They depend on php 5.2.  Php 5.3
was released last month and the shared hosting ISP dutifully upgraded.  The
underlying software running the sites broke in a big way.

It has been a month.  I figured that the software maintainers would update
their tools to stay compatible.  Unfortunately their mindset is that the php
guys broke the language and hell if they will change all their software.
They will let all the sites break until enough people complain and the php
guys roll back the upgrade.

This sort of sucks being me.

A solution was put forward to downgrade php on the shared service, something
that is just not in the stars.

Does anyone have experience installing multiple versions of php on a CentOS
or RH5 box?  Yum only works with the most recent version by default.  I was
not able to find a solution Friday.  Monday I'll do some more in depth
Googling to see if there's an answer out there, but advice would  be
appreciated.

Matt

--
Matthew Campbell | Chief Technical Officer
Imagination Games
matt.campbell at imaginationgames.com
www.imaginationgames.com