[SGVLUG] Novell has been sold

Tom Emerson starman9x at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 13:31:41 PST 2010

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 7:36 AM, Joel Witherspoon <
joel.witherspoon at gmail.com> wrote:

> Bad news: CPTN Holdings LLC is a Microsoft Company

maybe, maybe not - this release doesn't specify exactly which items of
"intellectual property" have been sold - for all we know it may be pure
netware "stuff"...

> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> 22/November/2010
> ...Novell also announced the sale of certain intellectual property assets
> to CPTN Holdings LLC. The sale of certain intellectual property assets
> will not impact customers. Customers will continue to be authorized to
> use Novell products under this intellectual property.

granted, microsoft would like to get their hands on the most juicy "bits"
available.  This statement here also implies some level of protection via a
grandfather clause, but this is no guarantee that they will continue to
honor this agreement

> Attachmate Corporation plans to retain both the Novell and SUSE brands
> and operate them as two separate business units, along with its other
> holdings, Attachmate and NetIQ. The transaction with Attachmate
> Corporation and the sale of certain intellectual property assets to
> CPTN Holdings LLC are currently expected to close in the first quarter
> of 2011.

I do wonder, a bit, how this really affects "OpenSuSE", as I'm under the
impression that this is operated separately from Novell/SuSE in the first
place.  I suppose if it gets to be too obnoxious, I'll finally move off of
(open)SuSE.