[SGVLUG] FYI: Large Scale Web Application talk Tue 5/18 12noon at Caltech

matti mathew_2000 at yahoo.com
Sun May 16 14:20:21 PDT 2010

fyi - this looks really good:

best
matti

Adaptive Performance Optimization for Large Scale Web Application

Date: Tuesday May 18, 2010 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
Location: 105 Annenberg

David Wei, Facebook.

With rapidly evolving technologies, the World Wide Web (WWW) has greatly improved user experience and become more and more ubiquitous. Web sites have grown into large applications which are far more complicated than simple HTML pages. As complexity grows, latency increases. "Make the web faster" has become a top priority for many large web properties in the world.

Comparing to the performance optimization on traditional distributed applications, large scale web applications such as Facebook are facing at least three unique challenges:
Massively large scale
Rapid evolution
Exponential and viral growth

In this talk, I'd discuss our experience on handling these challenges. I will go into details of one example on how we model and adaptively optimize the performance of static resource delivery. And I will present some open problems that we are facing.
Lecture or concert series: IST Lunch Bunch
For further information: contact Sydney Garstang sydney at caltech.edu phone: x2813
For the full scoop, see our event web page: http://www.cs.caltech.edu/seminars/lunch_bunch.html.
Sponsored by: Computer Science and Information Science and Technology

http://today.caltech.edu/calendar/item.tcl?calendar_id=116969