[SGVLUG] Our website [feedback from the last meeting]

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Thu Mar 25 16:29:27 PDT 2010

[I meant to post this earlier, but right after the meeting we had a little DNS difficulty to overcome]

At the last meeting, there was mention that our website is a little difficult to get around - I won't argue that, after all, I'm the one maintaining it :)

To give a little background, our "site" grew out of a hand-coded HTML page with just the basic info about our group and the latest meeting in one page.  It also happened to be reasonably efficient for text-only browsers, though I'm not sure how strong a requirement that would be anymore (though I'm sure there are a few members that would appreciate it)

When we searched for ways to make the site better, we chose a CMS that seemed reasonable enough for our needs, and could be "tweaked" to make the site look very similar to the original hand-coded version, so we went with it - only to have the original maintainers of the particular CMS we chose decide to "split" into two distinct camps regarding how "open" the source was and how it was to be supported.  Coupled with the fact that (really) I'm just am amateur with the software, it is not surprising that the site might be a tad difficult to understand...

So - I'm looking for suggestions for improvement - I won't (necessarily) rope you into /implementing/ any of these suggestions, but any help you can provide would be welcome indeed.

Tom