[SGVLUG] DSL: static or faster?

matti mathew_2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 24 20:42:06 PDT 2010

Hey!
Some of the new routers you can put in bridge mode and retainyour setup. OR you can just add an addition router down streamif you like ;)
With the 2wire 2701HG there are all sorts of settings for it...
including:
ATM Encapsulation:[ Bridged LLC | Bridge VC-Mux | Routed LLC | Routed VC Mux ]
Connection type:[ Direct IP | PPPoE | PPPoA | Routed IPoA ]
I'm guessing you can config it like your current Alcatel
looks like someone on CL is selling one for $30...( if you can, remember to test it before you leave.. I had 2 bad AC/DC converters.. )http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/sys/1655243572.html
ebay, wow what a range of pricing ( looks like from the teensto $50.. inc shipping, with the $25 inc shipping a popular price low point )Looks like the new ones are going in the mid $30s-$40+ ..
If you can save the config from the alcatel, it looks like it wouldbe worthwhile w one...
bestmatti

---

I also have a separate router so while it would be nice to consolidate three things (my wireless access point is actually in another room which is more central to everything) into a single box that makes it a single point of failure. Right now I could loose wireless and still have internet access or I could lose internet access and still be able to connect to other devices in the house.

Will a new modem let me specify static?  I believe my modem is set up as a bridge so no PPP over anything.  No login.  It just works.  Which makes me wonder what prevents just anyone from "grabbing" "my" IP if my modem is offline?

I was told I can get the 2-wire residential gateway at any AT&T
wireless store for $100 plus tax.  The non wireless version is like $87
but not sure if it's available at the retail stores.  No it's not a lot
of money but why replace it it ain't broke and there's no guarantee my
speed will increase?  It was the guy on phone that suggested looking at craigslist.