[SGVLUG] DSL: static or faster?

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Wed Mar 24 09:28:08 PDT 2010

>From what I read in the forums about the alcatel, that is your bottleneck (I have the same one I think - a not-quite-rectangular box about 6-7" tall and 10-11" wide, right?)  Basically, the fact you are getting more than 3mbs is supposed to be impossible [just like it was "impossible" for me to get ANY DSL at 40,000 feet from the CO?]

What were they expecting to charge for the hardware in the first place?  Sure, a rebate is nice, but consider: you've had that modem for 10 years - any discount you received on it, even 100%, has been fully amortized by now, hasn't it?

-----Original Message----- Of Claude Felizardo

Does anyone have an unused DSL modem, preferably 2-wire?  Anyone switch to U-verse or cable?

I called AT&T and asked about U-verse w/o TV and was told there would be a $145 installation fee unless ordered with at least TV service.   ...
The guy was very helpful and said he normally does email support and the occasional phone support but is always looking for referrals.  If anyone wants his name, phone number and extension, please ask off-list.

It sounds like we are in the same boat - sure, I'd love to get the info on this guy, I should probably upgrade my system now too...

BTW: which "pseudo-ISP" were you with before the upgrade?  pacbell, sbc, yahoo, at&t, prodigy?  [by "pseudo-ISP", I mean that all of these are or were the same company - it just depended on when you started service and whether or not you were [forcibly] migrated from one to another as the "contract" the baby-bells had with whomever was re-written from time to time]  In keeping your static address, did you also keep the same ISP?